Rowing: Wadham College Boat Club Society
Wadham rowers past and present are a thriving community both on and off the water. Wadham College Boat Club Society (WCBCS) welcomes members of the Wadham Boat Club and their supporters to join the social and competitive events held each year.
Membership of the Boat Club Society is open to all who support and would like to help the current Boat Club or keep in touch with old rowing friends at Wadham. Each year in September the Society holds a regatta and Dinner in Oxford, a great chance to meet up with friends and meet new people all with the same aim - to remember and celebrate their rowing days at Wadham.
Membership and support
To join the Society and support Wadham rowing, please select below. If you would like to join the Society, but are not yet able to make a financial contribution towards the Boat Clubs, please take the £1 annual option.£25 a year £3 a month £4 a month £10 a month £1 a year
- Ensuring crews are well coached
- Providing financial support through the College Boat Fund to fund coaching and equipment
- Giving experienced advice
- Supporting participation in the sport by a broad mix of current Wadham students, of all abilities
- Providing the Society’s members with news of the Boat Clubs’ progress
- Organising an annual regatta and The President’s Dinner
- Encouraging past members of the Boat Club to join the Society, so seeking to spread the financial cost of Wadham Rowing across a broad base of support
President - The Warden
Chairman - Ben Williams (1988)
Treasurer - Diana Mountain (1984)
Membership Secretary - Jane Osborne (1996)
Social Secretary - Lucy Ventress (2005)
WCBC Liaison - Diana Mountain (1984)
3rd Torpid 1982 Representative - Gavin Stewart (1981)
Coaching Coordinator - Rod Andrews
Newsletter Editor - Stephanie Hall (2012)
Committee Members: Conor O’Neill (2000), Paul Bowen (1962), current Boat Club Presidents; Jovana Pepic, Aidan Gallagher
Wadham's rowing history
In common with many of the Oxford colleges, rowing was the first organised sport at Wadham. The Boat Club was founded at some point before 1837, making it one of the middle batch of colleges to found formal boat clubs. Only a decade or so later, however, Wadham achieved notable success when, in 1849, the college won both the Ladies Challenge Plate and the Grand Challenge Cup at Henley Royal Regatta.