Studying PPE at Wadham, Sulamaan has played an active role in College politics since joining Wadham in 2017.
“Having the current SU President, Jack Wands (PPE 2016), as a College ‘parent’ probably encouraged me to run for the role but it was also my Mum who suggested I get involved in student politics,” said Sulamaan.
Keen to effect real changes while in his role, Sulamaan believes his priority over the coming year will be to help make disruptions caused by building works go as smoothly as possible. “Keeping the community together and maintaining a positive community spirit while we await construction of the new JCR and student facilities is a key goal,” said Sulamaan who also hopes to encourage a wider student group to get involved in SU activities and promote inter-year activities.
Making sure all students are aware of the support network available to those with mental health issues is also high on his agenda.
Sulamaan has worked with Wadham’s access and outreach team as a Student Ambassador since starting at Wadham and is passionate about encouraging more black and minority ethnic students to apply to Oxford. He recently took part in a campaign organised by the Committee of JCR Presidents to show how perceived images of Oxford are no longer accurate. The students recreated a famous 1988 Bullingdon Club photograph with a 2018 group demonstrating the diversity of Oxford today.
Sulumaan attended King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys, a state grammar school in Birmingham where he developed his enthusiasm for debating. He now regularly debates at the Oxford Union.
Introducing the SU Committee, 2018/9
- President: Sulamaan Rahim
- Vice President: Joe Lovell-McNamee
- Treasurer: Hashim Guleid
- Communications Officer: Eoin Hughes
- Academic and Careers Officer: Milo Thursfield
- Domestic Officer: Vacant
- Sports Officer: Hazem Hassan
- Welfare officer Sophia Oleksiyenko
- Welfare reps: Will Sealy, Maya Eadie-Catling, Marie-Ann Harvey
- Women’s Officers: Alice Scharmeli and Leila Roberts
- Access Officer: Dan Gunn
- Charities, Environment and Ethics Officer: Harry Penrose
- Bar and Social Officer: Sam James
- Bar and Social Rep: Joanne McNulty
- Sarah Lawrence Rep: Genesis Rico
- LGBTQIA Officers: Megan Greenough and Reuben Woolley
- Trans Officer: Tori Mangan
- Arts Officer: Bryony McIvor
- Tortoise Officer: Juliet Shapiro
- PoCRE Officers: Leela Jadhav and Karishma Paun
- Freshers’ President: Liv Railton
- Freshers’ Reps: Alice Scharmeli, Dan Gunn, Leela Jadhav, Pelin Morgan, Phoebe Bachsleitner and Will Sealy
- International Students’ Officer: Celine Ng
- Entz Officers: Justine Farrant, Louis Bullen, Phoebe Bachsleitner and Rosalind Robshaw
- Disabled Students’ Officers: Carys Dally and Patrick Storey
- Staff Liaison Officer: Jade Spencer
- Class Officer: Lauren Dolman
- Suspended Students’ Officer: Roseanne Hasan
- Food Rep: Hannah Rooke (to be replaced, along with housing, amenities and the Technical Officer – but not rep - by a JCR Officer in Michaelmas)
- Technical Officer: Emily Hampson
- Technical Rep: Morag Campbell