Academic matters - Graduates

Academic Provision

The University is primarily responsible for the provision of graduate education. If you are on a taught course, then your department or faculty will arrange your teaching. If you are a research student then your department or faculty will assign you with a supervisor. The role of the College is to offer you academic or pastoral support during your studies.

College Advisors
A College Advisor, normally a Fellow in a similar subject area, is allocated to each graduate student to provide support in matters of personal welfare and academic progress. While prime academic responsibility lies with the University, and in particular with the Faculty or Department Supervisor, College Advisors can offer less specialised help which may sometimes be useful for just that reason. In the exceptional case where a student does not get on with a supervisor, the advisor can give guidance on how to deal with the situation and, if necessary, on how to go about requesting a change of supervisor.

Students should normally meet their advisors at least once a term to discuss the progress of their work. The advisor may take the opportunity to discuss the report which the supervisor writes each term for the Faculty/Department and which, together with student self-assessment returns, is available to both student and College Advisor online, via Graduate Supervision Reporting (GSR FAQ). The Warden or the Tutor for Graduates may also ask to see students from time to time to discuss progress.

Tutor for Graduates
The Tutor for Graduates and Senior Tutor are available (as are, of course, College Advisors) to discuss such matters as funding, or interpreting the often complex University regulations. When application forms (e.g. for transfer of status, submission of theses, etc.) need action by the College, send them directly to the Graduate Administrator (

Graduate Supervision Reporting (GSR) [formally Graduate Supervision System (GSS)]
From Michaelmas Term 2018 Graduate Supervision Reporting (GSR) has been used by supervisors each term to review, monitor and comment on their students’ academic progress and to assess skills and training needs. You are encouraged to submit a self-assessment report about your own academic progress via Student Self-Service. Information will have been provided to you as the new system replaced the old GSS system in Michaelmas Term 2018. The Wadham Academic Office will send you reminders about when the self-assessment reporting window opens.

Terms of graduate suspension

Financial support

A variety of grants are available to graduate students.

Funding support

Academic-related Grants:  The College’s Pollard Fund for graduate students is available to give limited help with research expenses such as travel and attendance at conferences, book purchases and thesis binding. For details on additional Academic-related Grants, including amounts available, application forms and named funds for specific subject areas, please click the link below:

Continuation Fee: Colleges have collectively agreed that all graduates on course, but beyond fee liability, should be liable to a ‘continuation charge’ of £100 per term. Wadham has decided that all such students should be reimbursed this fee and therefore, for administrative simplicity, no invoice will be sent for the continuation fee, nor credit note issued for its reimbursement.

Financial hardship: If you find yourself in a situation of financial difficulty, or anticipate having such difficulties, you should arrange to meet with the Finance Bursar or Domestic Bursar as soon as possible. In the first instance, please contact the Finance Bursar’s PA Katarina Bjurstedt for an appointment (

You can find details about the options available to students in cases of financial hardship by clicking the link below and reading the section entitled ‘Financial problems’:

Help with financial hardship

Travel Grants: Travel grants are applicable to graduates who are still within fee-liability and who are not in the final year of their course. Find out more.

Scholarships and prizes

Wadham College offers a variety of scholarships as well as prizes to reward academic success.

Financial support

Exam Prizes: Prizes are awarded to students who gain a Distinction in University Examinations; currently £75 for a Distinction in one-year taught courses, and £100 for a Distinction in two-year taught courses.

Senior Scholarships (including Keeley and Eprime Eshag Senior Scholarships): These are awarded through an annual competition advertised to all current and incoming graduate students. Applications are judged on academic criteria and, for continuing students, on their contribution to the life of the College. Senior Scholarships are of one year’s duration. Each is currently worth £500 and carries some dining rights at High Table. For more information and to make an application see the College website.

Disabilities, dyslexia and specific learning difficulties

If a disability means that you have particular requirements, it is helpful for the College to know this as soon as possible so that it can support you, both academically and in terms of any domestic needs.

Accessibility guide Disability support Disability advisory service Common Framework on Disability

You are therefore encouraged to discuss any condition with the Senior Tutor, Domestic Bursar, your tutors or the Academic Administrator (as Disability Coordinator), as appropriate. Whilst disclosure might be recommended, all officers will respect confidentiality as far as safety allows.

Alternative Examination Arrangements
It is important that all students who have received extra time in previous examinations, for example for dyslexia, advise the Academic Administrator ( in their first term: an application has to be made for similar dispensation in any University examination.

Read Wadham's equality policy (Appendix 8).

Exam entry

Please see information under University Examinations for information on entering examinations; further details can also be found below.

Graduates Exam Entry (taught courses):
The courses and examinations are defined and organised by the appropriate faculties within the University, and set out in the University Examination Regulations available here: Make sure you are familiar with all relevant parts of the regulations for the relevant year of entry. In some subjects the regulations are supplemented by more detailed statements circulated to students by the appropriate Faculty.

Entering for University Examinations
Further information about the exam entry process is available on the University website (  You are responsible yourself for filling in the online form - with complete accuracy - before the closing-date, and for informing the Academic Office of any special needs in good time. Late entries are penalised: at the least, a fine levied by the University; at worst, exclusion from the examination. In most cases, late applications for dispensations will not be considered by the University.

Graduate Exam Entry (research courses):
Further information about the exam entry process for research degrees is available on the University website ( 

Illness affecting examinations
If your work before, or during, a University examination is affected by illness or other exceptional circumstance, the Senior Tutor should be informed immediately so that the examiners can be notified in good time. A medical certificate, signed by a College Doctor, is required.


The College and University takes a very serious view of plagiarism.

While tutors recognise that it can take time to learn how properly to present the ideas of other authors, it will not tolerate such practices as the submission, as a student’s own work, of essays or other material from the internet, the purchase of material from other students, the unattributed copying of material from other students or from books or journals, or the representation of the work of others as one’s own. Suspected cases of such practices will be referred to Department/Faculty and may lead to serious academic and/or other sanctions. Students should familiarise themselves with the guidance provided by every faculty, setting out subject-appropriate advice, and with the University guidance at

Course transcripts

If you matriculated in, or after, Michaelmas 2007, a transcript can be ordered from the University. On-course transcripts can be ordered from the same site (these will show your academic achievement to date but will not include a final classification).

Student status and transcripts

Students matriculating prior to MT 2007 should use the order form from the College website or contact the Tutorial Office Administrator on


Students on post-graduate taught courses will be invited to book onto a ceremony at the start of their final year. Once this has been confirmed by the University, the College will contact students about practical arrangements. Please see the College website.


Moving from a taught graduate course to a research course

Graduates moving from taught to research programmes (e.g. MSt, MSc, MPhil, to PRS/DPhil) count within the College’s overall graduate admissions quotas; for this reason we advise graduates to submit their applications in the earliest possible gathered field and, where this is not possible, to ensure that the Academic Office is informed of a firm intention to transfer as early in the academic year as possible. This minimises the risk of not being readmitted to Wadham due to full quotas.  Please contact the Graduate Administrator ( for further details.