College facilities

The Lodge

The Lodge is the College’s information centre. The Head Porter, Deputy Head Porter and the Day and Night Porters are there to help, guide and advise. 

They receive mail and messages, and distribute them to individual pigeonholes. Fire and intruder alarm systems are connected to the Lodge. The Lodge Porter is the first port of call in an emergency. The Lodge is staffed 24 hours a day and the number for use in an emergency only is 277999. For routine matters use 277900.The Lodge is fitted with a hearing loop system. A text telephone is available in the Lodge for use by those with hearing impairments.

Lockers for student possessions are situated in the temporary JCR kitchen in the Bar Quad and are available to hire, upon deposit of £30 for the key, from the Lodge. This is refundable upon return of the key to the Lodge.

Postcards, locker keys and booklets about the College can be purchased at the Lodge.

The Messenger Service delivers academic related mail. Personal letters (invitations to parties etc) are not accepted. The Porters will advise on the use of the Messenger Service.

Royal Mail normally delivers each weekday up to around 13:00.  Carriers deliver throughout the working day.

Please ask that all mail is addressed to you using your full name (please do not use a nickname).  Any post received addressed to a person not known in the College will be returned to sender.

Small parcels are put in pigeonholes in the Lodge.  Large parcels are stored in the Lodge on the open shelf, opposite the main desk.  If a carrier requires a signature on delivery, this will be provided by the Duty Porter.  If a parcel arrives for you which cannot be put in your pigeonhole, an e-mail will be sent to advise you that it is in the parcel area.  Parcels should be collected as quickly as possible, no more than 2 days following delivery, as storage space is very limited.

Please do not order items that will arrive after your departure at the end of term.  Please do not leave valuables, including cash, in pigeonholes.

Please note the College cannot accept responsibility for parcels/mail containing valuables left in pigeonholes or delivered to the lodge.

Contact details and forwarding of mail
The Lodge will forward mail on to your home address during the vacation periods if requested.

Please note that parcels are not forwarded.

When you graduate, please ensure that you re-direct your mail.  In particular you are strongly advised to notify financial institutions (eg your bank, credit card company) of your new address. The College will forward mail to you for an initial period of up to three months (not parcels). 

Facilities for meetings, theatre and public rooms

Applications to book the Moser Theatre and meeting/teaching rooms, such as the C Day Lewis Room and others, can be made by clicking on the link below:

Book a room

To hold a meeting or event in any of the College’s public rooms you must obtain permission from the Dean. For use of the Antechapel other than for use of the piano (see below), permission must be obtained from the Chaplain. Rooms may not be used for any entertainment or meeting without the prior permission of the Dean, and you will be held responsible for any disturbance, damage, or irregularity of any kind which occurs in your room or elsewhere in College as a result of any such entertainment or meeting.

The College is committed to uphold the free expression of opinion on its premises by its members, associate members, staff, and invited speakers, so long as the manner of expression and content of opinion are lawful. Anyone seeking improperly to disrupt or obstruct a lawful meeting or activity will be subject to College discipline. Express permission for any function (such as a political meeting) which, it is reasonably feared, could lead to serious disorderly behaviour, must be obtained from the Dean.

Alcohol at events
Events involving alcohol must take place in accordance with the College's Premises Licence and College's Alcohol Policy.  If you are planning any event involving the serving of alcohol, you must attend a training session on the responsible service of alcohol an be authorised to serve alcohol in the College by the Domestic Bursar as the College's Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS).  Training sessions are held at the start of each term. Further information.

The Moser Theatre
Booked via the Conference & Events Office ( The Moser Theatre is in the Bowra Building. The Theatre is used for the playing of badminton as well as theatre productions.

Teaching rooms
Teaching rooms, such as the C Day Lewis Room, Lee Shau Kee Scholars Rooms, Knowles Room, Gillese-Badun Seminar Room and Tower Room, are booked via the Academic Office in term-time and the Conference Office in the vacations, please click on the link above.

Music practice and facilities

Music practice facilities may be used at the following times:

Holywell Music Room
Available for piano practice by arrangement through the Faculty of Music.  Non-music students must submit an application, using a link on the Faculty's website, for eligibility to use the piano.  The room is also available for individual and group rehearsals through the Conference and Events Office.

The Bands room
The Music Room in the Bowra basement (adjacent to the gym) should always be used for any music with a strong beat or heavy volume.  The permitted hours are currently 13:00-23:00 each day, but this may be restricted if the Moser Theatre is being used for a talk or production or there is excessive noise.

The Chapel and Ante-Chapel
The Ante-chapel piano: 07:00-10:00, 13;00-14:00, 19:00-23:00
The Chapel organ: 13:00-14:00, 19:00-23:00

Both instruments can normally be played on Saturdays from 09:00 to 23:00.

Special dispensation may be sought from the Dean to play outside these hours. To play the Chapel organ or the Antechapel piano, permission should be obtained from the Organ Scholar, who will consult the Dean and the Chaplain if problems arise.

The Hall Gallery
The Gallery Piano can only be played by arrangement.  Permission should be obtained from the Organ Scholar and Conference & Events Office.

Moving of Pianos
Pianos in the Chapel and the Holywell Music room must not be moved without the permission of the Domestic Bursar.

Disabled Access
Step-free access to The Hall and Moser Theatre can be arranged by prior arrangement with the Lodge. 

Sports facilities

Bookings for the Squash and Badminton Court can be made via the online room booking system. The Squash Court and Badminton Court are in the Bowra Building Basement.

Wadham College Gym

Wadham College Gym is a free facility for the use of all Wadham students and staff and is located below the JCR Bar area. Access is granted to those who have completed an induction on how to safely use the equipment provided, you will need to swipe your Bod card to gain entry hereafter. Inductions will be arranged regularly by the SU Sports Officer and you will receive emails notifying you when they will commence. The gym contains a number of rowing machines, free weights, power rack and various work benches. You must follow the College Gym Rules at all times and must not use the gym if you are alone. If you have any problems or any of the equipment is damaged or broken please contact the Sports Officer or Lodge immediately.

The Boathouse
The Boathouse is on the north bank of the Isis, and can be reached (on foot only) via Christ Church Meadow.  The boathouse is shared with St Anne's and St Hugh's College.

Sportsground, Pavilion and Tennis Courts
Tel: 310382
These facilities are about a mile from the College via the North Oxford Cycle Track, off the north side of the Marston Ferry Road (near the Banbury Road end). The Groundsman is Mr Martin Cofield (

Feedback and suggestions

The Domestic Bursar and her team are here to ensure that the College’s non-academic administration and facilities are run as efficiently as possible to the benefit of all. The Domestic Bursar welcomes feedback from students about any aspects and it is important that any shortcomings are drawn to her attention as soon as possible by email or by telephone 77963.

It is your College: please play your part in running and taking care of it.