Fees, charges, battels, grants and financial help

Information on fees and charges is sent separately to every first-year student and also posted at the Lodge on the Domestic Bursar’s notice board.


For full details of fees and funding at the University of Oxford please refer to the University web site here. For information on Student Finance and UK Government loans please click here.

Student finance

Most Home/EU students completing their first degree, are entitled to take out a Tuition Fee Loan, up to the full value of the fee rate for the given academic year.  The student loan company makes payment directly to the University to cover the cost of Tuition Fees (www.gov.uk/student-finance). If you chose to pay the fee yourself, your Tuition Fee will appear on the Fees Invoice you receive from the College.

All fee accounts should be settled by the first day of the term in which they are due. Interest on outstanding accounts may be charged at the rate of 0.5% per week. If for any reason your fees are not paid on time, you should arrange to see the Finance Bursar.

Renewal of fees provision

Undergraduate fees are payable annually in advance or on arrival in residence and students are strongly advised to apply to their funding body well in advance.

If, for lack of an application or any other reason, no confirmation has been received from a funding body that it will pay your fees, you will be deemed a ‘self-payer’, and therefore personally liable for the payment of your University Fees. If you do not intend to apply for fees support please contact us the finance office well in advance of the academic year as you will be required to provide financial information.

Battels; accounts for meals, accommodation, etc.

Battels are sent out at the beginning of each term. They contain items relating to board and lodging charges.

They must be settled no later than the end of the first week of term and by the end of second week in Trinity Term. After that, interest will be charged on the overdue balance at 0.5% per week. Payments may be made in cash, by cheque, bank transfer, debit card or over the Internet using the on-line payment facility. No charge is made for payments by debit card. (Please note, payment by credit card is not accepted). Students who have not settled their bill by the end of term may not be allowed to return into residence until the debt has been paid, and future rights to College accommodation may be restricted. If for any reason you cannot pay on time, you should arrange to see the Domestic Bursar as soon as possible. All queries about fees and battels should in the first instance be addressed to Mrs. Lees in the Accounts Office (Tel: 2-77952) jan.lees@wadham.ox.ac.uk

Further details can be found in the Wadham Undergraduate Finance Guide.

SU Levies

The Students’ Union levies certain optional charges on junior members for charitable purposes, such as the Foreign Student Scholarship Scheme and the External Charities Fund. Although these charges are debited on battels, the Accounts Office acts merely as a collecting-agent, and those wishing to opt out should inform the Accounts Office. Explanatory notes are circulated at the start of each Michaelmas Term and any queries or complaints about these charges should be addressed to the SU President.

The cost of living out

In recent years it has become more expensive to live out of College than to live in.

Because of the high cost of lodgings in Oxford, you will probably need to save some money in advance of having to live out. If you get into debt in your first year, you may face extremely severe difficulties in your second and subsequent years.

Living out grants and loans

Any fee-paying Wadham students who have not been offered College-owned accommodation (including linguists living abroad but not other students out of residence) during the academic year are eligible to claim the grant for each year of such residence, the amount applicable during 2018/19 is £418.

Application forms are available as a download from the Finance pages.

Students who are living in or were offered rooms in Merifield, Iffley Road and Lathbury Road, and graduate students who are no longer paying fees, are NOT eligible. Exceptionally, 4th year D.Phil students may also claim provided they are in residence for at least the period from the Thursday of 0 week of Michaelmas Term to the Saturday of 8th week of Trinity Term.

Vacation residence grants

Undergraduates staying in College rooms on a term-time only contract are eligible to apply for a vacation residence grant when they apply to stay in College accommodation for academic reasons during the vacations.

This does not apply to students living in Merifield, Lathbury road or Iffley Road.

The £15.41 per night grant is available for up to a maximum of 14 nights. Overseas students will, as at present, be entitled to vacation residence in College if they are unable to return home, and will be eligible for the grant up to a maximum of 14 nights, in line with the College’s expectation that all students will devote at least two weeks of each vacation to academic work. Students applying for the grant will normally be required to have a statement of academic support from their Tutor.


When applying for College Grants such as Living Out Grant and Vacation Residence Grant, it is helpful to let Accounts have your bank account details.

This will enable repayments to be made by BACS directly to your bank account. Otherwise, a cheque will be raised. Please email directly to the Senior Bursary Clerk, jan.lees@wadh.ox.ac.uk, giving your sort code number and account number.

Academic-related Grants

Academic-related grants are available from a number of College funds to help with course-related expenses (e.g. books & equipment, field trips, conference attendance, thesis printing and binding). Please follow the links below for full details of the funds available and how to apply:

Financial problems

Students in financial difficulties should seek advice from the Finance Bursar in the first instance - finance.bursar@wadham.ox.ac.uk, tel. +44(0)1865 277966.

If you find yourself in financial difficulty, always check first that you have applied to all government funds for which you may be eligible – check details and links relevant to graduates and undergraduates on the University Hardship Funding web page (section 1):


Once you are sure that you are receiving all the government funding for which you are eligible,  you may then apply to Wadham’s Student Support Fund. Please note that support from this fund is only available in cases of unforeseen financial hardship, e.g. a parent becoming unemployed or losing income due to illness. If you apply to this fund, you are likely to be asked to apply to the University’s hardship funds at the same time (Access to Learning Fund for Home students,  University Hardship Fund for all students). It is important that you read the information available on the University website about these funds before applying – also available via the link above.

You may use the University Hardship application form to apply to both the University Hardship Fund and to the Wadham Student Support Fund. You can find the form by clicking the relevant link below and scrolling down to the section titled ‘Hardship Support’:

Undergraduate hardship support
Graduate hardship support

Paid employment

The College recognises that many students will take up paid employment in the vacations (although undergraduates should see the 'What is expected of you' heading of the Academic matters - Undergraduates section of the Student Handbook).

Students taking paid employment during term-time may find that working even limited hours may have an adverse affect on academic performance, and are encouraged to talk to their tutors or College advisor before accepting such employment.

Any student who feels it financially necessary to take up paid employment in term-time might also find it helpful to discuss his/her situation with the Domestic Bursar or Finance Bursar.

Similarly, if you find that financial pressure to do paid work in the vacations (particularly the Christmas and Easter vacations) is preventing serious academic work, you should consider applying for help from Wadham’s Student Support Fund.

Appointments with the Domestic Bursar or Finance Bursar may be arranged by contacting their Secretaries (tel. 2-77963 Domestic Bursar) or (tel. 2-77965 Finance Bursar).